Homemade Shepherds Pie. Here's a quick, throw together recipe for shepherd's pie. Browned meat smothered in rich mashed potatoes with your favorite vegetables. A quick and easy dinner to make for your family.
These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. American favorite shepherd's pie recipe, casserole with ground beef, vegetables such as carrots, corn, and peas, topped with mashed potatoes. You can cook Homemade Shepherds Pie using 8 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Shepherds Pie
- You need 1 of onion.
- You need 2.25 lbs of hamburger.
- You need 3-4 of large potatoes.
- Prepare 2 cans of whole kernel corn.
- Prepare 1 package of cream cheese.
- Prepare 1 half of cup of milk.
- It’s 1 of 13×9 cake aluminum cake tin.
- It’s 2 cups of shredded four cheese, cheese.
Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Shepherd's Pie is one of those recipes that has taken on a lot of forms over the past several decades, and what you put in it probably depends on where you live. Originally, Shepherd's Pie was made with ground lamb, but the Americanized version usually swaps the lamb for ground beef (although if you really want, can use. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name).
Homemade Shepherds Pie instructions
- Peel the potatoes so there's no skin. Then cut them into medium cubes..
- Take an onion and chop it into tiny pieces..
- Cook the 2.25 lbs of hamburger with the chopped onions in the hamburger as you're browning it. Takes about 7 minutes to brown the meat with the tiny pieces of onion for flavor..
- While you're browning the hamburger and onions, boil the cubes of the potatoes on another burner to save time. Boil until you take a piece of potato out and take a fork and see if it mashes easily with the fork. Takes about 10 minutes to make the potatoes soft enough to mash with a fork.
- After the meat is browned. Spread the hamburger at the bottom of the aluminum tin to make the bottom layer..
- Then strain the potatoes out of the pot. Then put the potatoes from the strainer into the pot you just used. Then put in the pot the 1/2 cup of milk and take a fork and mash the potatoes. Keep mashing with the fork and stirring the potatoes. When they're all mashed if it's not the consistency you want if you want it more watery then add more milk..
- After the potatoes are the right consistency, add the cream cheese not all at once but in bits and taste while you're adding to get the flavor of the potatoes that you want..
- Take the 2 cans of corn and make a layer of corn over the hamburger in the cake tin..
- Take the potatoes that taste the way you want and spread it on top of the corn. To make a layer that doesn't mix with the corn, pour the potatoes in clumps all over the corn and then carefully spread the potatoes to make the top layer..
- Take the 2 cups of shredded cheese and layer the top of the potatoes..
- Take the tin with the shepherds pie and put it in the oven at 325° for 20 minutes or longer if you want the potatoes browner..
- Then eat and enjoy. Great meal that doesn't take too long!!.
However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. Best Shepherd's Pie This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. Aka Homemade Shepherd's Pie with ground beef. One that's simple and affordable and delicious.