Shepherd's Pie. Yes, shepherd's pie is predominantly thought of as Irish or British. But since I'm Scottish, I thought I'd give it a unique twist to suit my ancestral tastes. The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor.
You'll love the convenience of this easy, comforting shepherd's pie from Martha Stewart. Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). You can have Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 6 of red Potatoes.
- Prepare of Cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 300 gram of Minced beef.
- Prepare 1 of small onion – chopped.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic – chopped.
- You need of Fresh rosemary.
- You need of Fresh thyme.
- It’s 150 ml of fresh milk.
- Prepare 1 of carrot – chopped.
- You need To taste of butter.
- Prepare To taste of salt.
- It’s To taste of pepper.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of flour.
- It’s of Olive oil.
- You need 1 of Egg yolk.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- It’s as needed of Beef broth.
However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. Best Shepherd's Pie This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies).
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil then put potato in to the boiling water and cook until tender. Peel the skin, mash and mix with cheddar cheese, yolk,butter, milk and salt pepper. Set aside.
- In a pan heat olive oil and fry chopped onion then add chopped garlic and fry until fragrant, add carrot and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add minced beef,rosemary, thyme, flour, salt,pepper, and fry untill beef golden brown..
- Add beef brot and tomato paste, bring to boil and reduce heat then simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a baking dish spread beef, layer with mashed potato and flatten well.
- Bake in the oven in 200 c for 20 minutes or untill golden brown..
- And this is it,, have done and ready to serve.
You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. A main-dish pie is a great way to use that extra pound of ground beef. Try different varieties of frozen vegetables you have stashed in the freezer for a different twist. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato.