Cauliflower Gratin. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cauliflower gratin is a lower-carb side dish that pairs well with pork, ham or beef. It's so creamy and delicious that even the kids will ask for seconds!
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add cauliflower, and cook just until crisp-tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. You can cook Cauliflower Gratin using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cauliflower Gratin
- Prepare 2 each of Yellow onions.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Butter.
- Prepare 1 of Olive Oil.
- It’s 1 head of Cauliflower.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of Milk.
- Prepare 90 grams of Goat cheddar.
- It’s 1 of Salt and Pepper.
Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Get Cauliflower Gratin Recipe from Food Network. It's certainly not your usual classic Thanksgiving gratin. It's a little different, but it's one of those extra special dishes for the holidays, bringing undeniable joy with second and third servings without feeling too much guilt.
Cauliflower Gratin instructions
- Slice up the onion(1/4" slices) and toss it in a steel sautée pan with some butter on medium low heat. Come back to stir occasionally. If you hear sizzling, stir and reduce the heat slightly. Cook em down to a sweet brown mush and set aside..
- Preheat oven to 450°F..
- Pare cauliflower to small florets, reserving the core. Place florets on a baking tray with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 15 minutes until cauliflower is beginning to crisp and turn golden brown..
- As the florets roast, peel and slice the core, then toss it in a pot with the milk. Simmer until cauliflower core is tender..
- Slice or grate the cheese. Pour the milk and cauliflower mixture into a blender. Purée, adding the cheese slowly. Season with salt and pepper and continue blending to achieve a smooth consistency..
- Spread the caramelized onions in the bottom of a baking dish. Scatter the cauliflower on top. Pour your cheese sauce evenly over the top to cover the cauliflower..
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown..
Season lightly with white pepper and sprinkle all the cheeses over. Potato gratin is a beloved dish but cauliflower also makes a great substitution for a healthier version of the side dish. Cauliflower gratin variation suggestions: You can roast the cauliflower instead of microwaving it. Other cheese choices might be Smoked Gruyere, Manchego, Cheddar, Gouda, or Swiss. Broccoli florets, Brussels sprouts, carrots, or thinly sliced potatoes can be used instead of cauliflower.