Potatoes au Gratin. These homemade au gratin potatoes are always welcome at our dinner table, and they're so simple to make. A perfect complement to ham, this homey potato gratin also goes well with pork, chicken and other entrees. —Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia Potatoes Au Gratin Recipes Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes. Whether you call it potatoes au gratin or au gratin potatoes, it's still the creamiest, yummiest side dish and goes great with any dinner.
Also known as Dauphinoise Potatoes, this French classic is made with layers upon layers of finely sliced potatoes, cream, butter and cheese with a hint of fresh thyme. Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish. Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths. You can cook Potatoes au Gratin using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Potatoes au Gratin
- It’s 2 kg of Potatoes.
- It’s 2 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of grated cheese of your choice..
- It’s dash of chopped parsley.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 2 tbsp of cream cheese.
In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Add the diced potatoes to the prepared baking dish and pour the creamy mixture all over the top. How to make Au Gratin Potatoes: Potatoes Au Gratin only take a little while to prep, between the potato slicing, sauce making, and layering.
Potatoes au Gratin instructions
- Preheat oven to 250-300 degrees celcius (or mark 6)..
- Peel potatoes, wash and drain well..
- Slice the potatoes as finely as possible or use a slicer to make things easier..
- Rub the garlic around a baking dish or skillet. Grease the dish with butter. I also greased it with cream cheese..
- Start laying the sliced potatoes in the dish separating them only slightly, keeping them compact. Add salt, pepper, parsley. Add a layer of cream. Spread the cream on the potatoes. Add some grated cheese..
- Repeat step 5 for as many layers as you have potatoes. You might need to add cream or cheese..
- On the final layer top with some parsley and a lot of cheese and bake for 45-60minutes..
But they do have to bake in the oven for an hour and a half (which feels like an eternity when you can smell the cheesy deliciousness)! Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Potatoes au gratin is layers of thinly sliced spuds together with a creamy sauce and melted cheese. A rich bechamel sauce that is thickened with a roux is spread between the potatoes which creates a luxurious texture. This casserole recipe is baked until hot, bubbly, and the cheese is golden brown..