Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast. Flavorful, succulent, oven-roasted Santa Maria-style tri tip roast is a southern California barbeque favorite. Place meat on preheated grill and brush with garlic-vinegar mixture. A Santa Maria rub has salt, pepper, and either garlic salt or garlic powder.
Tri Tip Roast is rubbed with a smoky spice mix, briefly pan seared to caramelize the exterior, then roasted in the oven until rare and tender. It's a delicious way to prepare beef for dinner. Though it's not known as one of the popular cuts of beef, it's this recipe that has made Tri Tip one of my favorites. You can cook Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast
- Prepare 2-2.5 of Lbs. Tri-tip beef roast.
- It’s 2 tsp. of Salt.
- It’s 2 tsp. of Black pepper, ground.
- It’s 2 tsp. of Garlic powder.
- Prepare 1.5 tsp. of Paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of Onion powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of Rosemary, dried/crushed.
- Prepare .25 tsp. of Cayenne pepper.
- Prepare .33 C. of Red Wine Vinegar.
- Prepare .33 C. of Vegetable/cannola oil.
- It’s 4 cloves of Garlic, crushed/minced.
- You need .5 tsp. of Dijon Mustard.
Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip Beef Sirloin Roast. A mainstay of California cooking, our tri-tip recipe stays true to the Santa Maria Valley tradition. Fire up the grill, put on our USDA Beef Sirloin Tri-Tip, add a pot of beans and some crusty bread for the full experience.. Santa Maria style tri-tip recipe perfect for grilling during barbecue season!
Santa Maria-style Tri-Tip Beef Roast step by step
- Utensils needed: Air-tight container for marinating beef, one cup sealable container for vinegar mixture, spoon, 1 cup liquid measuring cup, measuring spoons, large serving platter, grill/broiler pan, optional mortar & pestle/garlic press..
- In air-tight container, mix dry ingredients (Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic powder, Paprika, Onion powder, Rosemary, and Cayenne pepper) to make spice mixture..
- Place tri-tip on serving platter and completely coat all sides with spice mixture. Return to air-tight container and refrigerate for 4 hours..
- Mix Vinegar, Oil, crushed/minced Garlic, and Mustard in a covered container. Blend/shake well. Set aside for later. Shake well before using..
- After 4 hours, remove tri-tip from refrigerator and let sit uncovered/loosely covered for 30 minutes..
- Preheat grill/broiler to high heat. Lightly oil grate/broiler pan..
- Preheat grate/broiler pan. Place tri-tip on preheated surface, shake vinegar/oil mixture, then brush/bastetri tri-tip. Baste and cook for 4 minutes before turning. Repeat until desired temperature is reached. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. If cutting, cut across the grain of meat..
A smoky, sweet and spicy rub adds instant flavor to this tender cut of beef. Santa Maria style tri-tip takes a tender, and mild cut of beef then coats the roast with a blast of spices on the surface for maximum flavor. Remove from oven (don't forget to turn off the oven, like me). The roast will continue cooking to a very nice medium. Slice thinly across the grain to serve.