Mama Ashley's Pasta alla Carbonara. Mama Ashley's Pasta alla Carbonara step by step. There are a handful of classic recipes that are very important to have in your cooking repertoire. We don't use cream, milk, garlic, onions or other strange ingredients; we use only guanciale, eggs, pecorino cheese, and lots of black pepper (carbonaro is the Italian for coal miner).
However, even in Rome, it is becoming more and more common to use different types of pasta and I have tasted rigatoni alla carbonara more than once. Spaghetti is the usual pasta for alla carbonara. However, linguine, fettuccine, bucatini and rigatoni can also be used. You can have Mama Ashley's Pasta alla Carbonara using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mama Ashley's Pasta alla Carbonara
- You need 1 of half pound uncooked bacon bits.
- You need 1 tbsp. of bacon grease.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of chopped garlic in oil.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of butter.
- It’s 1 pound of uncooked spaghetti.
- Prepare 1 quart of Half and Half.
- It’s 1.5 cups of FRESH grated parm.
- Prepare 2 of uncooked, scrambled eggs.
Rigatoni is the second most popular pasta for carbonara in Rome. The recipe I used is one that my Italian hubby follows. Eggs, bacon, Parmesan, Romano and shallots combine to make a delicious, creamy sauce for linguine, spaghetti or fettuccine. Ahhh, all is right again on my blog, because…pasta!
Mama Ashley's Pasta alla Carbonara step by step
- Cook 1 pound spaghetti until al dente. (Not completely cooked, but almost.) Cool pasta and drizzle with a tbsp. olive oil, and set pasta aside..
- In large pan, cook bacon bits with bacon grease over med-high heat. Until bacon bits are brick red in color or well done..
- Reduce heat, and add garlic. Cook until garlic is browned. (The garlic will burn quickly, so be careful with this step.).
- Add 3 tbsp. butter and melt down..
- Add about 3/4 of your quart of half and half. Save the rest for reheating the pasta..
- Add spaghetti, and bring to boil until it reduces. You want the half and half to rise to the top of the pan, and then reduce. This usually takes around 10-12 minutes..
- Remove from heat and add FRESH grated parm..
- Once the parm is well mixed in and melted, add 2 raw eggs. (I like to scramble mine before adding).
I've finally figured out how to make carbonara that isn't dry nor full of bacon grease. Bacon Spaghetti Pasta Carbonara includes pasta, eggs, cheese, and bacon that come together to make the ultimate Italian favorite recipe! I recently made it for the first time and I only had one question: Why the heck did I wait so long to make this creamy sauce, bacon, and pasta dish? Place a serving of spaghetti on each plate, then spoon sauce over the cooked pasta. In a large nonstick, deep-sided saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.