Potato Gratin. In this classic gratin, thinly sliced potatoes soak up all the goodness of a milk-and-cream mixture that has been spiked with nutmeg. A sprinkling of grated Gruyere cheese on top becomes gooey in the oven. Add the cream and milk to a large saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
Staff Picks Spinach, Caramelized Onion, and Muenster Au Gratin Potatoes Potato gratin is one of those dishes that is so simple to make, but the results are fantastic. A perfect gratin is thick, rich, and creamy with soft but intact potatoes and a decadent cheesy flavor. This recipe is loosely based on Orlando Murrin's recipe in "A Table in the Tarn: Living, Eating, and Cooking in Rural France." Gratin Dauphinois In this classic form the gratin tastes plenty cheesy on account of the reduced milk, but not gooey. You can have Potato Gratin using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Potato Gratin
- You need 500 kg of potatoes.
- It’s 200 ml of creme fraiche.
- It’s 200 ml of milk.
- You need 1 of garlic clove.
- Prepare of Butter.
- Prepare of Nutmeg.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of Pepper.
- You need of Parmesan.
For extra goo, sprinkle some shredded Beaufort or Gruyère between potato. These homemade au gratin potatoes are always welcome at our dinner table, and they're so simple to make. A perfect complement to ham, this homey potato gratin also goes well with pork, chicken and other entrees. —Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia One of the greatest comfort foods we know: a classic gratin dauphinois, or scalloped potatoes. Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Potato Gratin instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius..
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1/2 mm slices (best use a slicer)..
- Peel garlic and cut in half..
- Take a large and flat oven dish or a clean baking tray and first rub garlic on it, then butter. If you like garlic, slice it and lay it out in the dish..
- Tile potatoes on the dish like you would panels on a roof. It should only be one layer. Salt the potatoes..
- Mix creme fraiche and milk. Add salt, nutmeg and pepper. Don't be stingy. Pout mixture into the potatoes. The potatoes shouldn't drown in the mixture..
- Add parmesan on top..
- Cook for 25-30 min in the middle of the oven..
Potatoes au Gratin – forget scalloped potatoes, THIS is the creme de la creme of all potato recipes!! Also known as Dauphinoise Potatoes, this French classic is made with layers upon layers of finely sliced potatoes, cream, butter and cheese with a hint of fresh thyme. This Potato Gratin is the perfect simple side dish for any type of meal, whether its weeknight dinners or holiday meals. Thin slices of Yukon gold potato are baked in cream, milk, two cheeses, garlic, and thyme, until bubbling and golden brown. This potato gratin recipe is one Mary Berry's favourite ways of serving potatoes.