Shepherd's Pie. Want To Learn How To Make Delicious Pies? Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. You'll love the convenience of this easy, comforting shepherd's pie from Martha Stewart. Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. You can have Shepherd's Pie using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- You need 5 lbs of Potatoes.
- It’s 1 stick of Butter.
- You need 1 cup of milk.
- You need 2 lbs of Ground Chuck 80/20.
- You need 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive oil.
- It’s of Garlic salt.
- It’s of Granulated garlic.
- You need of Ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Rosemary leaves.
- It’s 1 lb of pkg frozen peas.
Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Peel and cut potatoes and boil in large pot of salted water. Boil until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes)..
- Drain potatoes. Add butter, milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Mash potatoes until creamy. Add more or less milk to get consistency desired. Set potatoes aside..
- While potatoes are cooking place ground meat in hot skillet on stove. Add olive oil for both flavor and cooking benefit. Salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic salt and granulated garlic to taste. As meat turns brown add rosemary leaves. Let this simmer for a few minutes as you cook peas..
- Place peas in microwaveable dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes in microwave..
- Assembly. Place mashed potatoes on large platter. With spoon scoop out large hole in center. Place peas in this hole. Drain meat completely. Now add meat to top of peas..
- Take photo. Serve and enjoy..
Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. Best Shepherd's Pie This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas Shepherd's Pie.