Shepherd's Pie. Find The Great Collection of Easy Making Recipes. Find Delicious and Healthy Recipes, Meal, Healthy Snacks & Cooking Techniques. Yes, shepherd's pie is predominantly thought of as Irish or British.
Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. You'll love the convenience of this easy, comforting shepherd's pie from Martha Stewart. You can have Shepherd's Pie using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 1 pound of ground beef.
- Prepare 2 cups of mashed potatoes.
- It’s 4 oz of cream cheese.
- You need 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Prepare 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- It’s 4 cups of frozen vegetables.
- You need 1 cup of beef gravy.
Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton.
Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Brown meat in large skillet.
- Meanwhile, mix potatoes, cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, and the garlic until well-blended..
- Drain meat, return to skillet; stir in vegetables and gravy..
- Spoon into 9-inch baking dish. Spread with mashed potatoes and top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese..
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through..
Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. Best Shepherd's Pie This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. A main-dish pie is a great way to use that extra pound of ground beef. Try different varieties of frozen vegetables you have stashed in the freezer for a different twist.