Pot Roast. Salt and freshly ground black pepper. I usually make a pot roast in the slow cooker, but the Instant Pot made the meat so tasty," reviewer Lela says. "My family wants me to make pot roast with this recipe from now on." Directions. Perfect for pot roast recipes, inexpensive chuck is one of the most flavorful cuts of beef.
In America, this dish is often called a "Yankee Pot Roast," and is served with carrots and potatoes or other vegetables. Pot roast is the perfect Sunday supper. Check out this collection of best-in-show pot roast recipes, and gather 'round the table. You can have Pot Roast using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pot Roast
- Prepare 3-4 lb of boneless chuck roast, trimmed.
- You need 2 of large yellow onions; large dice.
- You need 3 stalks of celery; large dice.
- It’s 3 of carrots; about 1/4" inch thick.
- It’s 2 of large Idaho potatoes; peeled & large dice.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic; creamed.
- Prepare 4 C of beef stock.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 T of tomato paste.
- Prepare 2 T of fresh rosemary; minced.
- Prepare 2 t of fresh thyme; minced.
- It’s 1/4 C of worcestershire sauce.
- You need as needed of kosher salt & black pepper.
- Prepare as needed of vegetable oil.
- Prepare as needed of fresh parsley; minced.
Pot roast is one of my absolute favorite meals, and once you figure out the secret to making a good roast, there's no going back! I want you to embrace the pot roast, my friends! Pot roast, when made according to a few fundamental rules, can be a totally delicious addition to your repertoire. Any type of beef roast that contains a lot of connective tissue is a good candidate for pot roast.
Pot Roast step by step
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Season roast with half the thyme and rosemary, salt, and pepper..
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven. Sear roast on all sides and remove to a plate..
- Add onions, carrots, and the remaining rosemary and thyme. Cook until onions begin to caramelize. Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds..
- Add tomato paste. Cook 1 minute..
- Add worcestershire sauce. Scrape up any brown bits remaining on the bottom of the pot. Cook until nearly dry..
- Return roast to pot. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Cover..
- Transfer to oven. Cook for 3-4 hours or until roast is tender..
- Garnish with parsley..
- Variations; Cola, roasted garlic, bouqet garni, canola oil, bacon fat, crushed pepper flakes, red potatoes, fingerlings, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, parsnip, butternut squash, acorn squash, scallions, chives, leeks, red wine, beer, root beer, oregano, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, paprika, shallots, pearl onion, asparagus, fennel, dried onion soup mix, chile puree, mushrooms.
At low-and-slow cooking temperatures, connective tissue releases gelatin, infusing both the meat and the cooking liquid with rich, juicy flavor. Pot roast is also steeped in nostalgia, and many people's favorite recipe is the one they grew up eating every Sunday night. But if you're looking for a new recipe, one to create your own traditions with, I cooked my way through four of the most popular ones to find the very best. CAN I PUT A FROZEN ROAST INTO A SLOW COOKER? The USDA recommends always thawing meat before adding it to the slow cooker or Crockpot.