Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin. This gratin is the perfect way to use up an abundance of summer squash. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add zucchini, yellow squash, shallots, and garlic. Zucchini Gratin with Yellow Squash is a luscious creamy cheesy medley of zucchini, yellow squash, onions and garlic.
Summer is in full force here and with it comes lots of fresh zucchini and yellow squash. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and garlic. Zucchini & Yellow Squash Au Gratin You can cook Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin
- It’s 1 of medium zucchini.
- You need 1 of medium yellow squash.
- You need 1 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of heavy cream or whole milk.
- It’s 1 tsp. of cornstarch.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of salt, divided.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of pepper, divided.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of dried oregano.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of dried chives.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp. of onion powder.
- You need 1/4 cup of freshly shredded parmesan.
- You need 1/2 cup of freshly shredded gouda cheese.
It must have been pretty good, I came back after checking on baby Cash* and Terrance had already dug in without me. "Quality control" is what he calls it. This Easy Au Gratin Zucchini Squash Bake Recipe is a hit with the family and it's been a keto recipe we tend to keep on our weekly meal rotation. Dinner has a new favorite keto side dish…satisfying, delicious and fits perfectly into the keto diet. After an afternoon of sugar and treats, I decided to put together a simple vegetable gratin, starring the enormous zucchini that we pulled out of our garden a few days ago.
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8×8" baking pan and set it aside..
- Wash the zucchini and yellow squash, then slice them into coins about 1/4" thick. Place them into a bowl and season them with 1/4 tsp each salt, pepper and oregano. Set aside..
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Once it's melted, add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Then pour in the cream (or milk) and whisk in the cornstarch, the onion powder and 1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper and chives. Allow this to come to a simmer and simmer until thickened…just about 2-3 minutes. Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese..
- Lay out the squash in the prepared baking pan. Pour the cream mixture over the top. Sprinkle the gouda evenly over the top..
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the squash is fork tender. Switch your oven to broil and let the cheese brown for 2-3 minutes..
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for 5 or so minutes, then serve..
I layered the zucchini slices, along with slices of yellow squash and tomato, and added just enough fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese for a great herb-cheese flavor. Spread half of the zucchini/squash mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. This zucchini and squash au gratin is an amazing side dish and cooks up so quick that it won't heat your kitchen up. This broiled zucchini side dish stars baby zucchini, a pint-sized, more tender version of zucchini. Find baby zucchini at the farmer's market or in the produce section of Whole Foods.